- Sessions : 3
- Who should attend : Those who will find this of value are the Business Analysts, Requirements Analysts, Project Managers, Technical Leads, Quality Assurance, Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), Architects, and Developers. A maximum of 12 students is suggested.
- Material : Each seminar participant receives a Seminar Handbook with templates, guidelines and solution set.
Virtual Project Planning & Estimating
The Virtual Project Planning & Estimating class provides training in the fundamentals of project planning, how to scope a project, identify risks and mitigation, build a work breakdown structure (WBS) and how to estimate and plan resources. The class objectives are to:
- Learn the project life cycle and fundamentals for project planning
- Define the scope and risks of a project
- Create an effective project plan and define the estimates for a project
- Provide case study exercises in how to scope a project, build a work breakdown structure and estimate the resources for project planning
Curriculum & Schedule
Session 1 (1:00 pm – 5:00 pm Eastern Time)
The topics presented in the first session are the following:
Fundamentals of Project Planning
- Project success and failure
- Basics for project planning
- Project management cycle
- Key knowledge areas
- Project Organization
- Case study exercise to identify a project that failed or succeeded. Create a list of the root causes.
- Software development life cycle
- Case study exercise to build the scope for a project
- Techniques and deliverables for identifying and controlling risk
- Case study exercise to conduct a risk assessment meeting and build a matrix with strategies
Session 2 (1:00 pm – 5:00pm Eastern Time)
How to create the work breakdown structure (WBS) for a project
Identify and Decompose the Work Packages
Case study exercise to create a Work Breakdown Structure and a WBS Dictionary Entry for a Work Package identified in the WBS.
How to create a project plan
- Concepts and best practices for building a plan
- Components of a plan
- Case study exercise to build a project plan.
Session 3 (1:00 pm – 5:00pm Eastern Time)
How to build detailed project estimates
- Calculate the Project Estimates
- Estimating steps
- Case study exercise to create project estimates.
How to control and manage change for a project
- Process for change control
- Tools for change control
- Case study exercise to define how to handle requested changes and emergencies. Create a flow diagram of the change management flow.
- Close Outs
- Change Control Log
- Final reporting for a project
Simulation with the Instructor-
The participants attend a working session with the instructor transforming a sample scope and project risks into a work breakdown structure, a project plan and estimates.