Business Requirements Management Consultants
Pierson Requirements Group, Inc. has divided the Process Analysis and Process Improvement for Requirements and Software Development Methodology (SDM) practices into two phases of tasks. The two phases can be conducted simultaneously or separately depending on the needs of your company. The first phase is the Business Requirements Transformation Phase and the second is the SDM Transformation Phase.
Business Requirements Management Transformation Phases
Pierson Requirements Group, Inc. would conduct an evaluation of your companys current requirements gathering and writing practices to determine how they can create an effective repeatable process for different types of requirements projects.
The first iteration consisting of needs assessment and gap analysis would include:
- Interviews of key stakeholders (SMEs) from each business unit to uncover your companys practices for gathering, collating and defining requirements
- Teleconference and on-site focus groups to review the current documentation practices and templates used for business requirements
- Review of sample documents for different types of projects varying in size and complexity
The second iteration would be to make recommendations for approvals based on the gaps and inconsistencies in the companys requirements process and industry standards. Based on the results of the recommendations and verification with key stakeholders (SMEs) a training program would be customized as required. The training program would be conducted for the pilot projects.
In the third iteration, Pierson would supply mentoring for the pilot projects to provide guidance and critique the deliverables based on industry standards and process improvement recommendations. Also included, would be a methodology document with guidelines, tips, meeting agendas and scripts to give the project teams a how to reference guide for use on their future projects.
Software Development Methodology (SDM) Transformation Phase
This phase would entail similar approaches used in the Business Requirements Improvement Phase.
- Pierson would conduct assessment interviews and focus groups to document the current environment and perform gap analysis with industry standards.
- Using the findings and industry best practices for SDM, Pierson will present and validate the recommended solution improvements. Pierson will also assist with the formation of a governance committee and inspection process.
- Pierson will provide your company with a customized Software Development Methodology training class.
In order to make a smooth transition, all of Piersons approaches and techniques for implementation involve consensus-based solutions and proof of concept projects. It is important to build enthusiasm and illustrate the new processes benefits. Pierson has found that this approach helps prevent resistance to the process change. If resistance occurs, an escalation procedure can be put in place with your companys Management. Piersons experiences have shown that it is essential that the business units have management support at the CEO and CIO level in order for a successful transformation. Pierson has also found that successful training helps promote process change by creating enthusiastic change agents who attended the training.